Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ja-ja-jaded...

There is a 94.67% chance I am becoming jaded. I can't help but wonder why so many or maybe just everybody in the arts feels like they are hanging on by a thread right now.  Sometimes I feel like it is just my theater but then I talk to people who work in the opera and the ballet and the "big" theaters in the city and it is ALL the same story. We are all trying to figure out how many people can you run an organization with before everyone's heads explode.  It's a fun game, maybe you should play.  On an even larger scale I think every non-profit in the country who has survived this ridiculous recession is playing that game.

But if it's not worth fighting for then what is the point? I work in an industry that has constantly faced death for a good hundred years.  But there is this group of us out there that live and breath this stuff and know its worth the fight.  Ohh the selfish human part of me kicks in every so often (or daily recently) and I ask myself "why couldn't you be passionate about something that makes money?" But then I tell myself "you knew what you were getting yourself into..and you would not be happy any other way." Soo ok...but...I would like to not become jaded in the process.  Well being jaded sounds a little sexy right?! Ha!  It might even be the right of passage for working in the arts/being an artist.  I think what I need to do is breath.  That might reduce my jaded level down to 78%.  

One day I will stop complaining about the arts and my overworked life in it.  Hey this blog post could have been me going off about FAME.  I have some opinions. Maybe next time?


1 comment:

Amy said...

i love you dez! hope things get better soon :)