Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Outside the Box

I know I know...two posts in two days...i must have lost it! Really, I just wanted to get on a soap box for 30 seconds...I won't take up to much of your time promise!  

I love outside of the box theater.  I love theater companies that are willing to take that risk of putting themselves that out there.  Art is always throwing your whole self completely out there....but not for the sake of just being weird.  I think you have to be true to who you are and then be willing to take the risk and somewhere in that process you will create something beautiful.  I just saw The Donkey Show and it was like no other night of theater I have ever experienced - but it was awesome.  I think you can see a glimpse of the future of theater in that show.  I mean talk about truly "experiencing" a show.  Us theater folk constantly talk about how to engage the audience, how to give them the "full" experience etc.  Well, I think it lies in truly making the audience a part of the experience.  The audience is JUST as important in the theatrical experience than the actors, designers, directors etc.  The audience has to be just as "in the moment" and "present" as the actors in the show.  That is what makes theater such a different art form than the movies....because you make a difference in the performance you are watching.  You get to live, breath, and be in the same world as the actors for two hours.  If live theater was visual art it would be a different picture each night because of the audience...how cool is that?  So I think that is why I like outside of the box theater....because they incorporate the audience in a new and different way and you end up experiencing theater in a way you never have before.  

What do you think?

No comments: