So this new york york trip was really good for me because it was my first trip to the city where i really was on my own in every possible way. I had very little structure for the trip and no expectation of what was really going to happen. I planned it very last minute and I did not even know what show I was going to see when I got down there (HUGE deal for me!). The past three times I have been to the city I have had a consistent buddy/buddies by my side the whole time and this time it was just me navagating myself around the city from place to place meeting up with friends. I guess i really got to experience what it would be like if i really did live in new york. I understand the subway/bus system and everything else a lot better now because i had to figure it out all by myself! (Al I know that blue line now I swear!). New York City usually overwhelms me and it makes me question if I can really handle it or not but this time I was not overwhelmed in the least bit and the city felt really familiar.
Friday night my bus got in 30 min late and I failed at meeting my friends for dinner and putting my stuff away so I would not have to carry it around all night long. As they headed off to see a show I hung out with a high school theater friend I had not seen in over 4 years. It was so surreal and random to see him again and in all places new york city?! We walked around the city, got a bite to eat, grabbed a drink, and watched the midnight show at stand up new york where my friend does stand up sometimes.
The next day I met up with a zta friend at the TKTS booth to see a show. I am a little obsessed with that booth and the entire experience because you have no clue what show you are going to end up seeing and what is really going to happen until the last second. Nicole and I decided on our top three shows and when we got up to the booth the guy made our decision really easy by telling us our first choice was sold out and our second choice had two AMAZING seats open for 50% off! We saw Avenue Q and it was extremely funny! I've always wondered how this show beat Wicked for Best Musical in 2004 and well now (even though I may not agree) I now have my theories on why it did. I also realized that I have almost seen every show that has won Best Musical at the Tony's in the past 5 years. The only one that I have left to see is Spring Awakening and that will happen next month! YAY!
After the show we put our names in for the lottery to see In the Heights. Even though I have already seen this show I would not pass up a chance to see it on the front row for $25! We did not win but I would not trade in that hour of my life for anything. When people's name were announced they would scream as if they had won a million dollars! When we did not win we headed down to a bar to watch the Baylor game. The trick was every bar in Time Square was packed and by the time we found seats at one of them the game was half over. But we did get to support the Bears and say Sic Em a few times even though we lost! Good try Bears! I'm still proud of you!
And now it is back to Boston for the opening of a show at my theater. I'm half alive from the weekend so this will be interesting...
No comments:
Post a Comment