Thursday, August 21, 2008

The First 24 Hours

So I have now been a Bostonian for a little over 24 hours and it sure has been an adventure already.  I have learned a lot already.  For example, Wal-Mart does not exist.  If you want oh say hangers or panty hose you go to CVS...I was shocked that CVS could carry such a wonderful assortment of things.  Thank goodness CVS is 4 minutes from my new house!  I love love love my neighborhood.  It looks nothing like Texas.  It is very New England!  And the best thing is walking 4 min and you are in the middle of Davis Square...my new obsession!  I love this square.  There are always people walking/hanging around in the middle of the square.  There are tons of shops, a cool theatre, restaurants, and yes the giant CVS!  At night people play music in the middle of the square and people sit under the trees that have twinkle lights and just hang and it is lovely!  Now I just need people to hang in the awesome square with!  My roommates have been fantastic.  Annie (my roommate only for 1 week, she is subleasing) gave me a tour around the area and literally made me learn street names.  I had to get us home after she was done explaining!  That came in handy today when came out of the subway in the wrong direction.  

So I am all unpacked (or as much as you can be unpacked when you don't have furniture) and I have spent hours on Craiglist searching for stuff.  I now own a vanity, TV stand, and desk!  My room is much bigger than I expected so as silly as it sounds I am very excited to buy a full size bed!  I am also very thankful for my friend Alice!  I hung out with her last night and tonight.  We explored another square (Inman) and had dinner at a fantastic sandwich place.  Across the street they were giving out free popcorn and drinks and showing Episode 4 of Star Wars (We learned Inman does this once a summer and tonight was the night!)  For all who know my Star Wars obsession I took this as a sign that me and Boston are meant to be!  

Public transportation is so funny.  I enjoy people watching.  The bus is especially interesting...but I feel like I am made for the subway and walking.  I love it!  And I am trying very very hard to seem like I know what I am doing.  As long as I wear my red sox hat I think you would believe me!  My interesting story of the day was seeing the same two guys atthe exact subway stop at different times of the day.  I feel like for a big city that is unusual.  But these boys stuck out!  One was carrying a bike with two extra tires on his arm and the other had on really short red wind pants.  I now consider them my friend.  Haha!!  Well I hope you enjoyed my account of the first 24 hours!  More to follow...hopefully with pictures!

No comments: